Amazing Crispy Potato Roast
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 – 12 russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion or 4 shallots, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 – 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- About 3 ounces pancetta or bacon, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Combine the oil and melted butter in a small dish. Set aside.
- Brush a round baking dish (around 9 – 10 inches) with a little of the butter and oil mixture.
- Slice the potatoes as thin as possible crosswise. Arrange potatoes vertically in the baking dish. Wedge onion or shallot slices throughout potato slices – in about 3 or 4 sections of each potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper flakes (use some black pepper if not using red pepper flakes). Brush with the remaining butter and oil mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes uncovered. If you find at anytime throughout baking that the potatoes are too dry, a little of the olive oil/butter from the bottom of the baking dish can be brushed on the slices. Also, a butter knife can be used to separate some of the slices if there are some sticking together too much.
- While potatoes are baking, brown the pancetta or bacon in a small pan. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Remove potatoes from oven.
- Add pancetta or bacon by scattering around throughout the potatoes. Lay the thyme sprigs on top of potatoes.
- Bake for an additional 35 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle on a little more kosher salt. Serve immediately. Sour cream is a great accompaniment to the potatoes.
Around The Globe