Broccoli Melt with Fried Eggs
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: medium
- 1 cup broccoli florets and peeled stems
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons crushed almonds
- 1 small garlic clove
- Water, as needed
- 2 slices crusty bread
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 ounces taleggio cheese
- 2 fried eggs
- Chili Flakes
- Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and have an ice bath ready. Add the broccoli to the pot and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Broccoli should be bright green and mostly tender. Transfer broccoli to the ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Heat oven to 400˚F.
- Place the slices of bread on a sheet tray and brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or so, just until the bread is just starting to toast.
- Time will depend on how thick your bread slices are.
- While the bread is toasting, combine ingredients for the broccoli in a blender or food processor.
- Puree until the broccoli is in small pieces/the sauce is mostly smooth.
- Add the broccoli blanching water as needed to thin the puree enough to combine everything. I like the puree to be on the thick/spreadable side.
- Assemble the melts by adding a layer of shallots to the toast, followed by the broccoli puree, and cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and is slightly browning, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the melts from the oven and top with fried eggs if desired.
- Serve the melts with a drizzle of olive oil, red pepper flakes, and fresh parsley.
Around The Globe