Chicken Avocado Black Bean Salad – A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and more!! EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY, and packed with fiesta FLAVORS galore!!
Chicken Avocado Black Bean Salad
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I use no-salt added)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 or 2 medium ripe Hass avocados, diced into medium chunks
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 3 teaspoons agave or honey, optional and to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, evenly sprinkle with cumin and chili powder, and cook over medium-high heat until done, about 5 minutes. Stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic, stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the black beans, stir to combine, evenly season everything with salt and pepper, and cook for about 1 minute, or until beans are lightly warmed.
- Transfer skillet contents to a large bowl, add the tomatoes, green onions, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and stir to combine.
- Check for seasoning balance, and if desired, add the optional agave/honey, optional cayenne, additional salt or pepper (I needed to add another 1 teaspoon of each), etc. Salad is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days, noting the avocado will oxidize as time passes.