Dress up chicken and stuffing with big chunks of sourdough bread and mushrooms. Finish off this slow cooked main dish with fresh gremolata. The lemon-peel, parsley, and chopped-walnut topping give it a fantastic citrusy flavor.
Chicken with Sourdough-Mushroom Stuffing
- Cook Time: 4 hour
- Persons: 8
- Difficulty: Easy
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small chicken legs (thigh-drumstick piece), skinned (about 5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups quartered or sliced fresh cremini, baby portobello, shiitake, and/or button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 cups sourdough baguette cut into 1-inch pieces (about 10 oz.)
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons snipped flat leaf Italian parsley
- Line a 5-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker with a disposable cooker liner. Lightly coat liner with cooking spray; set aside. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the lemon peel. In a small bowl combine remaining lemon peel, sage, seasoned salt and pepper. Remove 3/4 of the mixture and rub onto chicken legs. Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet; add mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until just tender. Stir in remaining sage mixture. Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl. Add bread cubes, and shredded carrot. Drizzle with chicken broth, tossing gently.
- Lightly pack stuffing on top of chicken. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer stuffing and chicken to a platter.
- In a bowl combine reserved lemon peel, walnuts, and parsley; sprinkle over chicken. Makes 8 servings.
Around The Globe