What’s great about this dish is you can use almost any cut of beef, which means you can use whatever you have on hand. Slicing the beef into thin strips across the grain while also leaving it marinade helps break down the tough proteins in the meat.
This is one of my favourite go to meals to make during the week. It’s quick and easy and I usually have all of the ingredients on hand. Although this is Beef and Broccoli it would also work wonderfully with other types of vegetables so don’t feel limited!
Chinese Beef and Broccoli
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- ¾ lb | 300g Steak
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon | 15ml soy sauce
- 1 Head of Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- ¼ cup | 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- Rice to serve
- Slice the beef across the grain into thin strips and place into a clean bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar, corn starch, and soy sauce until smooth and pour over the beef. Toss the beef to coat in the sauce and leave at room temperature to marinate for 30 mins.
- When you are ready to cook cut the broccoli up into bite sized florets.
- Heat a wok or high sided fry pan over high heat with a tablespoon of cooking oil. When the pan is hot add the marinated beef and stir fry for a few minutes until the beef has developed some colour.
- Remove the beef and place into a clean bowl. Turn the heat down and add a small amount more oil to the wok if necessary and pour in the broccoli florets. Stir fry over medium heat until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- While the broccoli is cooking prepare the sauce. Chop or crush the garlic cloves and add to a small bowl along with the soy sauce, brown sugar, and corn starch. Stir the sauce until there are no longer any lumps.
- When the broccoli is tender add the beef back to the wok along with the sauce. Stir fry for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Serve over rice.