My take on the classic Chilli Con Carne is best made in advance to allow the flavours to develop.
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- One tablespoon oil
- One large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- One red pepper diced
- 454 g pack Minced Beef
- One tsp ground cumin
- One tsp ground coriander
- One tsp chilli powder
- Two tsp smoked paprika
- One or two dried chipotle chillies rehydrated in boiling water for 15 minutes then finely chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato pure
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 25 g cocoa power – NOT drinking chocolate! OR 25g dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids
- 200 g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the chopped onion. Cook for five minutes then add the garlic, diced red pepper and spices.
Cook for another five minutes, then turn up the heat and add the minced beef. This chilli improves over a couple of days so is definitely worth making ahead.
- When the mince has turned brown add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, ketchup, cocoa powder, Worcestershire sauce, the chipotle chillies and the kidney beans.
- Half fill the empty can of chopped tomatoes with water and pour it into the pan. Turn the heat right down, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally.