Chocolate-Coconut Pound Cake
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, plus more
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter an 8×4″ loaf pan; line with parchment paper, leaving a generous overhang on long sides. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat oil, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 cups sugar until pale and fluffy, 5–7 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions; beat until mixture is very light and doubled in volume, 5–8 minutes. Add vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients (do not overmix; it will cause cake to buckle and split). Scrape batter into prepared pan and run a spatula through the center, creating a canal. Sprinkle with coconut and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake cake, tenting with foil if coconut browns too much before cake is done (it should be very dark and toasted), until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 70–80 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack; let cake cool in pan 20 minutes before turning out.
© Copyright 15 June, 2019 - Kemmy Recipes LLC. All Rights Reserved