Classic Irish Soda Bread
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, divided use
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk together 1 egg and buttermilk.
- Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in raisins.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Shape into a 6-1/2-in. round loaf; place on a greased baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, make a shallow cross in the top of the loaf. Whisk remaining egg; brush over top.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Around The Globe