Coconut Buttermilk Pound Cake
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- For the cake:
- 1 & 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″x 5″ loaf pan.*
- Line a small baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spread the coconut in an even layer on the lining. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes to prevent burning. Remove from the oven when the coconut is lightly toasted.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the coconut to use for the topping.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour in three portions, alternating with two portions of buttermilk. Mix just until combined.
- Stir in the toasted coconut not reserved for the topping.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 1 hour, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 1 hour. Then, remove the cake from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze:
- Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and buttermilk until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle the cake with the reserved toasted coconut.
Around The Globe