Tasty Coconut Vanilla Cupcakes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 cup (240 ml) walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Coffee Cake:
- 1 2/3 cups (215 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sour cream or plain yogurt (full or reduced fat)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter (or spray with a non stick vegetable spray) a 9-inch (23 cm) spring form pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with a circle of parchment paper.
- Crumb Topping:
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned. Let cool and then coarsely chop. Then, in a small bowl, stir together the chopped nuts, sugar, chocolate chips, ground cinnamon and flour. Set aside.
- Coffee Cake:
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter until softened (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three additions) and sour cream (in two additions) alternately, starting and ending with the flour.
- Mix only until combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula or back of a spoon. Sprinkle about half of the crumb topping on top of the batter.
- Cover with the remaining batter and then sprinkle with the remaining crumb topping. Bake for about 40 – 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before releasing the sides of the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Around The Globe