- Cook Time: 25 min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 4 Cornish game hens, giblets removed
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F and place oven rack in middle position.
- Rinse hens and pat dry with paper towels. Season cavities generously with salt and pepper, then add 1 sprig rosemary in each.
- Season outside of hens with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine paprika, oregano and olive oil, and whisk together.
- Place hens in a roasting pan and rub spice mixture all over them. Scatter garlic around hens.
- Place in oven and roast for 25 minutes. Pour white wine and chicken broth over the hens, then lower oven temperature to 350º F.
- Continue roasting for another 10-15 minutes, or until hens are a deep, golden brown and thickest part of thigh registers as 165º F with a meat thermometer.
Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Optional: to make a gravy, transfer roasting pan to stove top (or pour off cooking liquids into a saucepan, making sure to scrape the roasting pans for all the drippings) and add 1-1 1/2 cups chicken broth. Cook until mixture reduces slightly, then add equal parts butter and flour to make a smooth, paste-like sauce. Season with salt and pepper.