So I’m a bit obsessed with cranberries these days. Have you noticed? They are just so bright and festive, and totally versatile in cooking and baking. You can pair them with apples and chicken for some slow cooker tacos, or add them to an oatmeal crisp for a festive and healthy dessert. Both of these will be making an appearance on my table this holiday season!
And, you can’t forget the cranberry sauce. This blackberry chia cranberry sauce is my clean eating version of the holiday favourite, and I’m sure I will be making it multiple times between now and Christmas! In fact, I’ll be whipping up a batch this week to go along with our US Thanksgiving meal.
Cranberry Orange Overnight Oatmeal Muffins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest from half an orange
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- In a small bowl, add the oats and almond milk. Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 2-3 hours) to allow the oats to absorb the milk.
- Once the oats are soaked, pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees and grease a large 6-cup muffin pan. (You can also use cupcake liners).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg and olive oil. Add in the orange juice and zest, along with the oat mixture, and stir until combined.
- In another medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the cranberries and chocolate chunks.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, fill the muffin cups with the batter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool fully.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter and enjoy within 4-5 days. You can also freeze these muffins to enjoy later.