The great part about this flavor combination is that it can be used in both sweet and savory dishes, cranberry yogurt cake can be made ahead of time and frozen until you are ready to eat it. Just be sure to leave the glaze off if you are going to do this.
The yogurt is high in protein and low in fat and it adds moisture and additional vanilla flavor to the cake. Fresh cranberries are folded into the cake batter, which provides beautiful color and bright flavor.
Cranberry Yogurt Cake
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a large bowl, have your young helper whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and yogurt, beating until smooth.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, and stir until smooth.
- immediately pour the batter into a well-greased 8 or 9 in. (20 or 22 cm) square baking pan.
In a small bowl, stir together the cranberry sauce, cinnamon, and walnuts.
- Using a teaspoon, drop dollops of this cranberry mixture onto the batter in the baking pan, covering the top as evenly as possible.
- Don’t stir it in, don’t smooth it out. It’s fine to have some batter showing through. When it bakes, the batter will rise up through the cranberry mixture, creating a cool peekaboo effect.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick poked into the middle of the cake comes out clean-ish.
- Dust with icing sugar if you like, and cut into squares to serve.