To make this recipe spicier, do not seed the jalapeño peppers.
If desired, this chowder can be prepared a day in advance. Prepare chowder as directed through Step 2. Blend and strain chowder as directed in Step 4; cool, cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, prepare topping as directed in Step 3. Bring chowder to a simmer over medium heat; top as directed.
Creamy Roasted Corn Chowder
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 4 1/2 cups (1.05 L) fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears), divided
- 1 medium onion
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) plain soy milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 8 oz (250 g) “B” size red potatoes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) jarred roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup (250 mL) roasted corn kernels
- Smoked paprika (optional)
- Spray (12-in./30-cm) Skillet with olive oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Heat over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add half of the corn; cook 2-3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer cooked corn to a plate. Repeat with additional oil and remaining corn. Reserve 1 cup (250 mL) of the roasted corn in Small Batter Bowl for use in topping; set aside.
- For chowder, finely chop onion and jalapeños using Food Chopper. Add onion, jalapeños, pressed garlic and oil to (4-qt./3.8-L) Casserole. Cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes or until onion is softened. Add wine; bring to a simmer and cook 3-4 minutes or until wine is reduced by half. Add soy milk, salt and remaining 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) corn; simmer 10 minutes. Remove Casserole from heat.
- Meanwhile, for topping, dice potatoes and roasted peppers. Place potatoes into Large Micro-Cooker® with enough water to cover. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until potatoes are softened; drain. Add potatoes, roasted peppers and cilantro to reserved roasted corn in batter bowl; mix well.
- Carefully ladle half of the chowder into blender container. Cover and blend until smooth. Press chowder through (7-in./18-cm) Strainer into Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl using Classic Scraper. Repeat with remaining chowder. Return chowder to Casserole; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Top each serving with topping and paprika, if desired.