I have recently read about all the health benefits of bananas from vitamins to fiber and beyond.
Serving banana bread as a snack is a great way of sneaking something healthy into your kids’ diet. My kids always get excited when I make banana bread. Their favorite banana bread (and mine) is when we add chocolate chips. You could also experiment with adding raisins or nuts.
Banana bread is a great way to use up ripe bananas and get health benefits too!
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup stick margarine or butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 or 4 mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of 2 loaf pans with shortening.
- Gently squeeze the banana peel with the banana still in it until the banana softens.
- Mix sugar and margarine in large bowl. Stir in eggs. Add bananas, buttermilk, vanilla and cinnamon. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for 1 hour. If a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, they are done.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Loosen the bread from the pan. Remove the bread from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!!!