Learn how to cook filet mignon in a cast iron skillet and then transfer it into the oven for a crusty sear and juicy, perfectly cooked and tender meat.
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 2 6-oz. filet mignon about 2 inches thick
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil or olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Coarse ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Salt and pepper filets liberally on both sides. (This helps them get a crusty sear!) Let filets sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Once oven is heated to temperature add oil to a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Wait until oil is sizzling to add filets. Cook steaks for 2 ½ minutes per side without moving. Sear the remaining sides for 1 minute total.
- Add cast-iron skillet with steaks to the preheated oven and cook for 4-5 minutes. Using a meat thermometer measure the temperature of the steaks in the thickest portion to determine doneness.*
- Serve filet mignon steaks with garlic herb butter or caramelized onions and enjoy!