- Cook Time: 10min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk or cream
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 6 slices of good quality, day old bread (cut into 1/2 inch slices) (1.5 cm)
- Butter for frying
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon .
- Transfer the egg mixture to a large shallow glass or ceramic dish. Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the egg mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frying pan, over medium to medium-high heat, melt about one tablespoon of butter. Fry the slices of bread until golden brown on one side and then turn and fry the other side.
- If not serving immediately, keep warm in a 250 degree F (130 degree C) oven. Continue frying the other slices of bread, adding more butter as needed.
- Serve immediately with a dusting of powdered sugar and pure maple syrup or fresh fruit.