Surprisingly, pumpkins on their own don’t boast a strong flavor. What? What? It’s true! When combined with the delicious spices usually appearing in recipes such as Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Bread and obviously the PSL you have a truly warm and delightful taste. Often these baked goods are accompanied by other less than healthy ingredients and though quite decadent the additions increase the calorie content.

We live by the 80/20 rule when it comes to food in our house, which means 80% of the time we eat wholesome healthy meals and foods, and then we allow the other 20% to be somewhat of an indulgence though not always terrible choices. If I’m ordering a Pumpkin Spice Latte I’m getting the suggested 2% milk (and sometimes I may just get Whole Milk, yeah I go there!). Skim milk just isn’t the same! Am I right?

I love the pumpkin spice blend so much and I couldn’t stand for all my recipes to fall into the 20% range of our diet; so I self-imposed the mission of finding a pumpkin spice baked good that would happily fall into the healthy 80%. The Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Muffin was created and I’m thrilled with the outcome! The muffins are light and fluffy, filled with delightful flavor, and they’re gluten free and vegan!

Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Muffins

  • Cook Time: 1 hour
  • Persons: 4
  • Difficulty: Easy

  • Ingredients
  • 10 oz canned Pumpkin Puree (about 3/4 of a can)
  • 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
  • 3/4 cup Maple Syrup (plus 2 extra tablespoons for brushing, good quality)
  • 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 2 cups Gluten-free Flour (if flour doesn’t include xanthan gum add 1 teaspoon)
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
  1. Instructions
  2. Preheat oven to 395 degrees. Whisk the pumpkin, olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla together. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
  3. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
  4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and evenly distribute the muffin batter among the cups.
  5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean, brushing the tops with the additional maple syrup during the last 5 minutes of baking. Let the muffins cool prior to serving.

11 Shares