Gruyere and Thyme Cheese Straws
- Cook Time: 45min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- One 14-ounce box all-butter puff pastry (preferably Dufour)*, defrosted in the refrigerator OR one sheet Pepperidge Farm puff pastry
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water until completely homogenous
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly ground Parmesan
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats (preferably) or with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan, Gruyere, thyme and pepper.
- Lay a piece of parchment on your work surface and lightly flour; turn the puff pastry dough out and roll into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Brush the surface with the egg wash. Sprinkle the cheese mixture evenly over the surface. With the rolling pin, lightly roll over the toppings to press into the surface of the dough. Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes before cutting. Cut the dough into 12 equal-sized strips of dough. Working with one piece at a time, transfer the dough strip to the prepared baking sheets; twist each strip into a spiral. Repeat with the remaining dough. Refrigerate the strips for another 15 minutes before baking.
- When ready to bake, brush the remaining egg wash over the cheese straws. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Flip each cheese straw over and bake for another 2 minutes. Cool and serve at room temperature.
Around The Globe