HEALTHY CHICKEN PARMESAN QUINOA BAKE
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1.5 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cups Marinara Sauce (any kind of spaghetti sauce will work!)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used white whole wheat, but white or gluten-free will work, too!)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 large chicken breasts (or 6 medium chicken breasts)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a casserole dish with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Prep veggies by dicing a whole green pepper and 1.5 cups of mushrooms. Finely dice 1/2 a yellow onion (~1/2 cup).
- Place 1 cup of uncooked quinoa on the bottom of your casserole dish and then layer on veggies.
- Add 3 cups of marinara sauce, 1 cup of chicken broth, and a tablespoon of minced garlic to the casserole dish and mix everything together. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together flour, shredded parmesan, and garlic powder. Then, crack an egg into a small bowl and whisk.
- Prep chicken breast by dipping into the egg and then into the parmesan mixture making sure everything is generously coated. Place chicken breast on top of quinoa mixture
- Finally, sprinkle on the leftover parmesan mixture and even more cheese if you desire. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bake at 375º, uncovered for 20 minutes. Then, cover with tin foil and bake for an additional 40 minutes or until the quinoa is fully cooked.