Flaky, buttery homemade biscuits that are to die for. These delicious biscuits are not only simple and soft, but make the perfect side dish for any meal.
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 4 cups self rising flour
- 2 TB baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter, cold cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, add the cut up butter. Blend into the flour until butter pieces are about the size of a pea.
- With a wooden spoon, mix in 2 beaten eggs and then 1 1/2 cups buttermilk. Stir until dough forms together. (should be sticky. Add more buttermilk if dough is too dry). Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes-overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- On a floured surface, form your dough into a circle, 14″ across and about 1/2″ thick. Make 20 biscuits by using a 2 3/4″ thick round cutter. Place biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Align so that they are touching.
- Beat 1 egg and 1 TB buttermilk in a small bowl. Brush biscuit tops and place in oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy warm or for up to 2 days in an airtight container.