King Ranch Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Cook Time: 55min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow or yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes w/green chilies (hot or mild), undrained
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (10 ¾ oz.) can cream of mushroom or chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, cubed (rotisserie works well)
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided into 2 (1-cup) portions
- Garnish (optional)
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes w/green chilies, drained
<8 oz. pkg. small elbow macaroni
fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta per package directions to al dente and drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat butter and oil in a large Dutch oven, over med-high heat. Sauté onion and green bell pepper until pepper is tender and onion is translucent.
- Stir in the undrained can of tomatoes, Velveeta, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and add the creamed soup, sour cream, chicken, 1-cup shredded cheese and strained hot pasta. Stir well.
- Pour the prepared pasta mixture into the greased casserole dish. Cover with crushed tortilla chips. Sprinkle 1-cup shredded cheese on top and bake at 350°F 30-40 minutes or until casserole is bubbly in the middle.
Remove from oven and allow the casserole to rest 5 minutes.
- If desired, garnish with drained green-chili tomatoes, chopped cilantro and more crushed tortilla chips.