These savoury Leek and Cornmeal Muffins make an ideal breakfast/brunch food, healthy lunchbox idea or satisfying snack anytime.
Leek and Cornmeal Muffins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 small/medium leek, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons sweetcorn (I used tinned)
- 40 g mature cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus 1 tablespoon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Lightly grease (or line with cupcake cases) a small muffin tray (for 6 muffins).
- In a medium frying pan heat up 1 tablespoon of oil, add the leek, season, lower the heat and fry for 2 minutes stirring often. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal and baking powder, season, stir well and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg and oil. Add the milk and stir well. Add the cheese, leek, sweetcorn and stir thoroughly. Add the dry mixture and stir to combine (don’t overstir).
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes. Yields 6 muffins.