I found the recipe while browsing the net and decided to go ahead with this one making some changes to the original recipe. This one is eggless and I used flax seeds and buttermilk for the softness. I have used whole wheat flour , but you can use all purpose flour or refined wheat flour. It will be less dense that way.
But my family have got used to the denser texture of my cakes as I prefer baking it the healthy way. The cake has a distinct mango flavour and proper sweetness. It feels delicious to bite into the extra sweetness of the mango bits which is added into it.
Mango Cardamom cake
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
1/2 cup oil you can use 1/2 cup butter instead of oil)
- 3/4 cup Regular white Sugar
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 1/2 cup Mango puree
- 3/4th cup+2tbsp Buttermilk (milk +vinegar) See notes below
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence I used vanillin powder
- 2 cups atta/whole wheat flour you can use all purpose flour also
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- small pinch salt
- 1 cup small mango cubes/pieces
- Mix the flax seed in around 3/4 th cup of water. Grind it till its becomes a smooth paste. Keep it aside. Preheat the oven at 180c. Grease and flour a cake pan and keep it ready. In a mixing bowl, mix the oil and sugar. Add the mango puree and flax seed paste to it and mix well.
- Add in the lemon juice,buttermilk and vanilla essence. Mix it well. (I used vanillin powder, hence in the picture)
- In another bowl, combine the flour,baking powder,baking soda, salt and cardamom powder. Fold in the flour mixture to the wet mix slowly stirring and mixing it simultaneously. Add the mango pieces and mix gently.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan. Bake at 180c for 45 minutes till the top has browned. Insert a knife or skewer in the center to check if the cake is done. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Invert on a plate and cut into slices. Serve immediately or store in a airtight box.