I have stacks and stacks of cookbooks and even more so magazines flagged with pages of recipes to try. When I began my planning for this week’s meals I wanted to change things up a bit, or completely really, so I went to my old archives I don’t use nearly enough and dusted them off.
I found this magazine titled “Meals in Minutes,” which I literally bought over 10 years ago, and who isn’t looking for meals made in minutes these days? Not me! What’s particularly humorous, or at least I think, is that when I bought this little magazine, and oddly enough I do remember buying it, I was not only kid less but completely single living in the city (er, technically Hoboken, NJ but close enough I was working in the city).
Maple Spice Orange Muffins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Ground Flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon All Spice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Grated Orange Rind
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup (or fresh squeeze orange juice)
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 1/8 teaspoon All Spice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with muffin paper cups.
- In a large mixing bowl combined the Flour, Ground Flaxseeds, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, All Spice, and Salt.
- In a separate medium sized mixing bowl whisk the Brown Sugar, Oil, Orange Rind, Syrup (or juice), and Eggs. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into the prepare muffin pan. Bake for 17 minutes or until muffins spring back with touched in the center. Remove from the pan immediately and allow to cool completely.
- Wait till the muffins have cooled to make the glaze. Whisk the Sugar, Milk, and Spice together and drizzle on top of each muffin.