Since 1875, spectators at the Kentucky Derby have relied on the classic Mint Julep to keep them cool through the Louisville summer heat, but there’s an even more soothing remedy to a sweltering day: a Mint Julep milkshake. True mint ice cream is surprisingly hard to come by in most markets, so this chocolate-flecked version uses mint chocolate chip ice cream for an extra sweet take on the minty cocktail—and we’re not mad about it.
Caramelly bourbon blends perfectly with the sweet, crisp mint flavor, while blended chocolate bits add a texture even more fun than crushed ice. Served in an exceptionally frosty julep cup and topped with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and a mint sprig, the shake would surely draw envious looks at the racetrack, but you can don your best derby hat and enjoy one anytime the temperature rises.
Mint Julep Milkshake
- Cook Time: 20min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 2 cups good-quality vanilla ice cream
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 2 teaspoons mint-flavored liqueur
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Refrigerate 1 large or 2 small glasses to chill.
- Blend the ice cream, bourbon and liqueur in a blender on medium-high speed until the mixture is uniform and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Pour it into the chilled glass(es), top with whipped cream and garnish with mint leaves.