Vegetarians and omnivores alike will enjoy this easy to make, hearty and nutritious Mushroom Asparagus Potato Casserole with Herbs – it’s gluten free too!
Mushroom Asparagus Potato Casserole with Herbs
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 5 medium potatoes
- 200 g asparagus, chopped
- 250 g mushrooms (chestnut or closed cup), roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons each chives and parsley, finely chopped (more for sprinkling)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon flour/corn flour
- 2/3-1 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 3 tablespoons ricotta
- 150 g feta, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Peel the potatoes, cut into quarters and boil in salted water with the bay leaf. They should still be quite firm after boiling (don’t overcook them). Cut into smaller pieces, place in a medium/large oven dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7.
- To make the herb sauce, in a saucepan melt the butter over a low heat, add the flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the milk and ricotta, increase the heat and continue whisking until the mixture has thickened and there are no lumps. Remove from the heat, add the herbs, season to taste and set aside (the sauce will thicken when it’s left to stand so you might have to add a bit of milk before pouring over the vegetables).
- Heat up a large non-stick pan and fry the mushrooms briefly over a high heat, stirring once or twice, for about 2 minutes (remove from the heat once they’ve browned a little, not letting them become soggy). Scatter over the potatoes.
- Arrange the asparagus pieces on top, scatter the feta, pour over the herb sauce, sprinkle the grated cheddar over the whole thing, drizzle with a little olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with more fresh herbs and serve immediately.
Around The Globe