Passion fruit cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 330 g (1½ cups) caster sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- 300 g(2 cups) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml passionfruit pulp (about 12 passionfruit)
- Passionfruit syrup
- 60 ml passionfruit pulp (about 3 passionfruit)
- 220 g (1 cup) caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20 cm round ring cake pan. Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks, sugar and butter for 6 minutes or until mixture is pale and fluffy. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and clean the bowl of the electric mixer.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a large bowl, then working in batches, fold through yolk mixture, alternating with passionfruit pulp. Place egg whites in the cleaned bowl of the electric mixer and whisk to soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites through passionfruit mixture in 2 batches.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan.
- Meanwhile, to make passionfruit syrup, place passionfruit pulp, sugar and 125 ml water in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until passionfruit mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool completely.
- Turn out cake onto a serving plate and drizzle with passionfruit syrup. Cut and serve.
© Copyright 16 July, 2019 - Kemmy Recipes LLC. All Rights Reserved