This festive peppermint stick ice cream is blended with crushed candy canes and peppermint extract. It’s perfect for the holidays!
Peppermint Stick Ice Cream
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 c. half and half
- 2 c. heavy cream, divided
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1 whole egg
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. crushed candy canes or peppermints
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine the half and half, 1 c. of heavy cream, granulated sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Heat until warm.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, slowly pour the warm mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Go really slow so you don’t scramble them! Gradually pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Constantly whisk over medium heat until the mixture thickens and reaches a temperature of 165 degrees. Pour the mixture through a mesh sieve set over a medium size mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining heavy cream, the vanilla and the peppermint extracts. I generally set my bowl over an ice bath to cool the base down as quickly as possible. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove the ice cream base from the refrigerator and pour into a prepared ice cream machine or attachment bowl. Freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions (about 25 minutes). When the ice cream is firm, fold in the crushed candies. Place in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.