Red Velour Cake
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- For Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp red gel food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- For Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter unsalted
- 2 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk I used 3%
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup icing sugar same as confectioner sugar or powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees. Prepare 3 8 inch cake pans. Cut out 3 parchment paper circles that will fit inside each pan and spray them with some cooking spray, underneath and over the paper.
- Make sure to spray some cooking spray up the sides of the pans too.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt to a medium sized bowl and whisk until combined.
- In a smaller bowl add the cocoa powder, vinegar, vanilla extract and red gel food coloring and whisk until well combined.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the butter, sugar and the cocoa powder mixture. Beat until well incorporated. Add the eggs and continue whisking until smooth.
- Add about half of the flour mixture and with the mixer on low continue mixing until well incorporated, then add half the buttermilk and mix until smooth. Mix in the remaining flour mixture, then the buttermilk and mix until smooth.
- Divide the batter equally between the 3 prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for about 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle, than unmould the cakes from the pans and finish cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Cut off the dome of each cake using a serrated knife and finely crumble them onto a baking sheet. Spread the crumbs evenly and bake for 15 minutes. Let them cool completely.
- Add the crumbs to a food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds to a minute or until the crumbs are super fine.
Around The Globe