Well, my intentions were good… Ah, and those are the famous last words that always got me in trouble, just as in childhood as with today. I intended to create a healthy dessert/snack, which I did…
Just like the time when I decided to draw a red star using my gummy bath crayon on to each and every, yes every, tile in my childhood bathroom, my intentions were good. I wanted to create a new design and found the yellow tile a bit drab. What I didn’t know was that this so-called “washable” crayon was in fact not so easily washed. It made cleanup, which my 8-year-old-self hadn’t planned on but was insisted by my mom, a bit tiresome. My intentions were good though…
Salted White Chocolate Macadamia Quinoa Bark
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 cup White Quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 3 tablespoons Flax Seeds
- 1/2 cups Macadamia Nuts (chopped, plus more for topping)
- 1/2 cup Pecans (chopped, plus more for topping)
- 1 tablespoon Pure Cane Sugar (regular sugar will also work)
- 16 ounces White Chocolate
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Coarse Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a Baking sheet (not a rimmed one) with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium, glass and or microwave safe bowl, combine the Honey and Coconut Oil. Melt in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds or until the oil is completely liquid. Stir to combine.
- Add the Quinoa, Salt, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Nuts, and Sugar. Mix all the ingredients until fully coated. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and even out using a spoon or spatula into a thin layer.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bark becomes golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the Chocolate in a heat-proof bowl or using a double boiler and spread in an even layer on top of the cooked bark. Before the chocolate begins to set and while it’s still warm sprinkle the Coconut Flakes, Sea Salt, and some additional Nuts on top.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to let the ingredients set, then break it apart into pieces.