- Cook Time: 55 min
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: medium
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 800g can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 4 eggs
- 270g wholemeal Lebanese bread
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook capsicum, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes and chilli flakes and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until mixture slightly thickens.
- Season with pepper. Using the back of a wooden spoon, make 4 small, evenly spaced indentations in tomato mixture.
- Carefully crack an egg into each indentation. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until egg whites are cooked through and yolks are still soft.
- Meanwhile, preheat a grill on high. Grill bread for 1 minute each side or until lightly toasted.
- Sprinkle shakshuka with parsley and serve with bread.