It’s time to ditch the store bought tortillas and make your own! These homemade flour tortillas are soft, tender and flavorful.
Simple Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt
- 6 tbsp. shortening, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 c. hot water (I used the hottest water I could get from my tap, no need to boil)
- 1/2 tsp. canola or avocado oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the shortening. Using a fork or a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until a coarse mixture forms.
- Pour in the hot water and mix with a wooden spoon or dough whisk. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal size balls. 16 6-inch tortillas or 12 8-inch tortillas.
- Place the balls onto a parchment or wax paper lined plate or baking sheet. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each ball until it’s nice and thin. They will puff as they cook, so make sure they aren’t thick.
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon of canola or avocado oil. Use a paper towel to evenly coat the pan and remove any excess.
- Cook the tortillas one at a time. They will need about 1 minute on each side. Flip when they begin to bubble up. They should have small brown spots on the bottom.
- Place cooked tortillas into a tortilla warmer, non-stick pot with a lid on, or a large zip lock bag lined with paper towels. This will help them stay soft until used. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Around The Globe