Transform Chicken Fajitas into a delicious, savory soup that will quickly become a family favorite! Mix and match vegetables to your liking! Chicken Fajita Soup is great served for family dinner or as a party food at larger gatherings.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bell peppers (any color), seeded and chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14-5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn (or 1 can)
- 16-oz. jar salsa
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 1.25-oz. packet fajita seasoning mix
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (recommendation: pull meat from a Rotisserie chicken)
- Sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, extra cilantro and shredded cheddar, for topping (all optional)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers, jalapenos, onion, garlic, cilantro, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until veggies are soft and fragrant.
- Pour contents of skillet into a 6-quart slow cooker, along with beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa, chicken broth and seasoning. Mix well and cook on LOW heat for 8 hours or HIGH heat for 4 hours. Thirty minutes before soup is done, add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, extra cilantro and cheese, if desired.