If desired, 2 tbsp (30 mL) smoked paprika and 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) each salt and coarsely ground black pepper can be substituted for the Smoky Applewood Rub. Omit salt and black pepper for the potatoes. Use 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) seasoning mixture for the potatoes and remaining seasoning mixture for the chicken.
To easily loosen chicken skin from breast and thigh portions, insert the Micro Scraper under the skin and gently push between the skin and meat.
Smoky Beer Can Chicken with Potato Wedges
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 1/2 lbs (700 g) russet potatoes (6 potatoes), cut into 1/2-in. (1-cm) wedges
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Smoky Applewood Rub, divided
- 2 1/2 tbsp (37 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken (3 1/2-4 lbs/1.6-1.8 kg), neck and giblets discarded
- 1 can (12 oz/350 mL) beer
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking over medium heat. Combine potatoes, 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) of the rub, 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) of the oil, salt and black pepper in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl; toss to coat and set aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) of the rub and remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in (1-cup/250-mL) Prep Bowl; stir until blended. Trim excess fat from chicken, if necessary. Loosen skin from breast and thigh portions of chicken (see Cook’s Tip). Spread rub mixture evenly under skin of chicken. Sprinkle outside of chicken with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) rub.
- Attach can holder to BBQ Roasting Pan. Pour out about one-fourth of the beer from can to provide space for drippings. Place beer can in can holder of roasting pan. Place chicken over can holder so that the can is upright in the cavity of the chicken. Arrange potatoes around chicken.
- Place roasting pan on grid of grill. Grill, covered, 60-75 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F (74°C) in thickest part of breast, carefully rotating pan once during grilling using Silicone Oven Mitt and stirring potatoes occasionally using BBQ Slotted Spoon. (If necessary when using charcoal, add 12 new coals on each side of grill after 30 minutes to maintain a consistent grill temperature.) Remove roasting pan from grill. Using Chef’s Tongs, carefully remove chicken from can holder. Serve chicken with potatoes.