Whether it’s for breakfast or breakfast for supper, you need these simple and filling Spicy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls in your life!
Spicy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp of ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp chives, chopped
- 4 cups spinach, fresh
- 1 cup lentils, cooked
- Optional: additional salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Optional: tomato, avocado, feta and basil as toppings
- For the sweet potatoes: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium-sized bowl, add the cubed sweet potato and drizzle with oil. In a small bowl, combine the oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Coat the potatoes with the spice mixture, spread out on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- For the eggs: Pre-heat frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, chives and a dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Add to frying pan and cook on medium heat by gently folding over the eggs a few times until cooked and scrambled. This should only take a minute or two.
- For the lentils and spinach mixture: Cook lentils according to package directions. Pre-heat a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the spinach and cooked lentils, and add a dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Cook on low heat until the spinach is sautéed. This should only take a few minutes.
- Assemble the breakfast bowls: Divide the lentil and spinach mixture into two separate bowls. Layer on the sweet potatoes and scrambled eggs. Add the optional toppings and serve.