Summer Berry Meringue Roulade seems fancy, but it’s one of the easiest desserts you can make for a summertime treat. So fresh and light, it’s a perfect after dinner dessert.
Summer Berry Meringue Roulade
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp corn starch (cornflour)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large egg whites (preferably organic) -older eggs are better for meringues
- 5 oz (2/3 cup) sugar (Baker’s sugar is best)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, preferably organic
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries (and/or blackberries)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Line an 11″x16″ jelly roll tray (swiss roll tin) with the baking paper, and preheat the oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- Mix the cornstarch, vanilla and vinegar together in a small bowl, until smooth; set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until stiff, then whisk in a little sugar, and a little of the cornstarch paste, and continue adding until they are completely mixed in.
- Spoon the egg white mixture into the prepared tray. Smooth out the surface with a spoon or a spatula.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until golden colored.
- Place a towel on the counter, topped with a sheet of baking paper, sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar and turn out the meringue onto the paper.
- Peel away the lining paper and place a new piece of baking paper on top, then roll the meringue, starting from the short side, using the towel as an aide. Let cool.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- When the meringue is cool, unroll it, and remove the top paper; spread the whipped cream over the entire layer.
- Sprinkle with the berries and re-roll the dessert, placing the seam side down. Dust generously with confectioner’s sugar.
- Carefully move to a serving plate, and add a few berries for decoration.
Around The Globe