Sweet and sour braised kale
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Persons: 3
- Difficulty: easy
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 60ml (1/4 cup) white wine
- 185ml (3/4 cup) white wine vinegar
- 40g caster sugar
- 1 bunch kale (about 500g), chopped, stalks and all, into 2.5cm pieces
- 3 tablespoons currants
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened and slightly caramelised. Now add the white wine, vinegar, sugar and 1 ⁄4 cup (60ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 7-8 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the kale and currants to the pan. Add 1-2 tbs water, cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the kale collapses and wilts. Remove the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve at once.