Classic British pancakes served on Shrove Tuesday
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp (100 g) flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 oz milk
- (2 tbsp limoncello or your favorite liqueur, or water)
- butter for pan
- lemon wedges and sugar
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl; make a well in the middle and add the beaten egg.
- Stir in half the milk, working in the flour gradually until it begins to form a batter, then beat well and add the rest of the milk and liqueur or water.
- Pour batter into a jug and let stand for about 15 minutes before making any pancakes. When batter has rested, heat a nonstick pan over medium high heat, add a little bit of butter to the center of the pan, stir the batter then pour in a small amount into the pan then swirl it so that it spreads thinly.
- Cook for about one minute, then turn and cook the other side for about 30 seconds.
- Place on a plate, drizzle with juice from a fresh lemon, sprinkle with sugar then roll or fold to eat immediately, or else keep the pancakes on a plate over simmering water to keep warm, then add the lemon juice and sugar. Continue adding a tiny bit of butter to the pan and cook the remaining batter.