Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Freeze the work bowl of an ice cream .
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan set over medium-high heat, and bring it just to a boil. Add the vanilla, remove from the heat, and let sit in the saucepan at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In another saucepan, beat together the egg yolks, sugar, untill light and airy. Stir the warm milk into the egg yolk mixture.
- Heat the yolk/milk mixture (custard) over low heat, stirring with a heatproof spatula until it thickens somewhat; it’ll be approaching the thickness of heavy cream and will register between 170°F and 180°F on a digital thermometer.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the custard cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream makeror a tin.