There are so many different kinds of cake out there, how does someone decide which one will be the one? Easy. This Whole Orange and Coconut Cake provides the tanginess of the orange with the sweet of the coconut and the creaminess of a homemade cake. There may only be eight ingredients in the decadent dessert, but it will be a family favorite for years to come.
Whole orange and coconut cake
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 whole orange, plus 1 extra
- 200 g butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease a 20cm (base diameter) round cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Wash and dry orange. Coarsely chop unpeeled orange. Process orange in a food processor until coarsely pureed. Add butter, egg, sugar, flour and coconut. Process until combined (do not over process).
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.