A simple, flavorful meal packed with protein and vegetables. This yellow coconut curry chicken is our go-to meal for busy weeknights or when we’re cleaning out the fridge!
Yellow Coconut Curry Chicken
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Persons: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 tbsp. oil (coocnut, olive, canola)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 (14 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 c. low-sodium chicken broth, more if needed
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. fish sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add carrots and potatoes, cook until lightly browned. Stir in curry powder and curry pastes. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Whisk in coconut milk, broth, sugar, and fish sauce. Gently simmer (covered or uncovered) for 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice and garnish with cilantro, if desired.